Tuesday, September 30, 2008

End Of September--Time to Wake Up

September has ended.

So I think it's time to wake up.

Yes, Mr. Marcus, you have done a great job in terrorising me for setting a world-class standard paper. You deserve a big clap from me. I am going to see red already.

And yes Arsenal, don't deny that you are shit, a piece of shit. Big cannon can't fight with tiger. Now only I realised that. Oh dear!

Yeah, I know I am not good in making decision on which team to bet on. They say you need to have a good far-sight when it comes to decision making. True, not only in betting football team, but also in investing.

CASE STUDY 1: F1 RACE
Subject: Singapore F1 (Another night event after the famous night-safari)
By just investing merely 40 mil for the pit-stop, Singapore Night F1 is generating an annually revenue of 100 million. And as usual, Malaysia will have to spend more in doing the same thing, in order to show their superiority: 286mil to built the Sepang circuit+monthly maintanance cost+few yearly renovation costs.

Well, eventhough NFS:Underground 1&2 came out few years ago, why Malaysia never thought of having street F1 race? Erm....maybe 10 years ago, there is no needforspeed that's why.
In P3, we have learnt about this theory called LATE MOVER ADVANTAGE by Christopher Bartlett & Sumantra Ghoshal). I think it applies here fit and well.

CASE STUDY 2: ACQUISITION
Subject: The Acquasition of Indonesia International Bank
Maybank wants to invest in other country too after it has seen and envied enough of the stories of successful investments by Temasek Holdings. So it thought the recent US crisis was a good chance and went on to propose to throw RM4.8 billion for 55.5% shares of the Indon-Bank in March, and subsequetly the FairValue of consideration paid will go up to RM8.7billion for 100% acquisition.

Then, BankNegara realised that it is double of the market price. In order to protect Maybank, they disallow the acquisition proposal, by forfeiting the RM570 million up-front payment. The purpose of this is to save Maybank from losing about RM4.3billion after the whole acquisition.

I wonder whether the Maybank management got study P3 Business Analysis or not. Or maybe they think they have too much tax-payer money to waste after all. But I wish that Maybank will throw the RM570 million into the sea rather than donating to Temasek & Korean Bank, at least
you throw into the sea you can hear the sound mah. I feel that's better.

CASE STUDY 3: RESTRUCTURING
Subject: MV Agusta
I never expect Malaysia got talents of Warren Buffett in term of restructuring the business, but I really don't think it's that bad.

Proton bought Italiano-MV Agusta for €7omilion. Then sold it away for just €1! Total lost=RM800million. Proton's Believe It Or Not! The most unbelievable thing is that Harley Davidson wholly acquired MV Agusta for US$190million in July 2008. This is more mysterious than any of the X-Files of FBI.

Therefore, I believe it's time for us to WAKE UP! after September ends. For the Management of Malaysia, it's time to wake up and stop all the "Value-Destroying Activities" and stop giving out golden boots. For myself, it's time to wake up and start getting serious because ACCA Monster is going to haunt me in December!

Oh yea, before I forget, to all the Muslims, Happy Hari Raya and Maaf Zahir Batin. People always think that I am a racist. But you all are wrong!

I wonder, is there anyone going for Pak Lah's Hari Raya open house tomorrow?

No comments: